Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Depression: My Story

So many people suffer from depression and feel their only way out is suicide.  Every single day a person takes their own life because they can no longer deal.  What people don’t realize is that a kind word or a little wave can save a person.  One small act change a person’s life.  What many people don’t know is that I have depression.  I suffered in silence for a long time and then a little over a year ago I was formally diagnosed with Generalized Depression.  This means that I do not have certain things that trigger my depression.  Instead everything, in a way, could make me depressed and cause me to go into a solitary retreat.  When I found out I told some members of my family.  Their reactions were not what I thought they would be.  I got “People in our family do not get mental illnesses”, “They misdiagnosed you”, “You do not have depression”, and my favorite “You are lying.”  They did not realize that what they were doing was making me feel worse.  Here I was sharing with them a very personal detail and they were just tearing me down.  They made me feel like having depression was a shameful thing and I should never mention it again; I should hide this detail of myself from everyone.  They wanted to get me retested and re-diagnosed.  They said I had a couple ‘breakdowns’ but that was no reason to say I was depressed.  I felt alone.  My family, the people I thought would understand more than anyone else, was saying what I had was not even real.  It took a long time but, after my parents talked with my family, they finally realized that what I had was real.  I was suffering and it was nice to know that my support system was actually going to support me.  Today, my family always calls me to chat and secretly check up on me.  They send me encouraging texts “just because”.  I know why they do it but I can tell you that it means more to me than anyone will ever know.

What a lot of people do not realize is that no person’s depression is the same.  To tell a person you know what they are going through because you too have depression is one of the worst things you can say.  So many people have said that statement and it truly hurts like a knife in the heart.  No one can feel your pain.  No one can relate on that level.  What they statement is basically saying is that “You are not that special.  I suffer too.  Look at me, I am living life and I am happy.  Stop complaining and be happy too.”  While your intentions may be pure, to a person with depression they only see the underling meaning of those words.  Depression is a solitary experience.  People cannot “fix you”.  All they can do is be there to support you.  Since depression has no “cure” (mind you, I hate using that word) everyone who has it will live with it for the rest of their lives.

Those with depression have suicidal thoughts.  I never really thought I had them until I met with a psychologist a while back.  We talked about everything and I shared with her every moment of my life.  While she was asking me questions, the topic of suicide came up.  I realized in that moment that suicide was something that I had thought of before.  It was never an option or something I wanted to do but it more so that the word was just a word that I had thought of.  I had read about young adults who took their own life because they were depressed, people who saw this as their only way out.  To them, suicide was the “cure”.  These were people who kept their struggle private.  They never told their friends or family.  What I realized, along with my psychologist, is that I needed to tell people.  So on top of telling family I also told a few close friends.  Being in college, it is a lot easier to lean on a friend who lives down the block then on a parent who lives in another state.  Now that does not mean that I do not call my parents at 11 o’clock at night when I am crying and can barely breathe.  Oh I guess now would be a good time to mention I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder which causes me to suffer from anxiety attacks every now and again.  Typically when I get very depressed I have panic attacks on top of it.  So anyways… Like I was saying I know my friends are there for me but there is just something about your parents saying “It will be okay” that truly makes you feel like everything will in fact be okay. 

I have never been shy about my disorders.  I never thought of it as something I should be ashamed about.  Some people have scars, some people have six toes, I just happen to have a couple mental disorders.  If you want to mock me for it go ahead.  Just make sure you are 100% perfect before you do so.  I am sure you aren’t because no one is perfect.  Well no one except Queen B cause let’s be honest, that woman is FIERCE (and yes I did the little finger snap when I wrote that).  But yeah, I have some inner demons that I fight every day.  I have my ways of dealing.  Although I am very open with whom I am, most people aren’t.  Many will not just come out at say they have depression.  Instead they will drop little hints that most people will not notice.  I'm going to be kind and let you know these hints so that YOU can help out your friends.
1.       They tend to find excuses to not go out.
2.       They say they will go out and then cancel at the last minute.
3.       They do go out but are very quiet.
4.       When asked ‘what is wrong’ they will look at the ground and say ‘nothing’.
5.       They will not respond to text messages for days.
6.       They lay in bed constantly.
7.       They sleep a lot.
8.       They refuse to eat or eat a bite and say they are full.
These are all signs of depressed people.  These are also signs of a very exhausted college student.  Depression is not black and white.  It is hard to tell who has depression because those who have it generally try to hide it.  We will not be waving a flag letting people know we have a mental illness (well most won’t).  If you think a friend has depression you need to sit down and talk with them.  If they deny it, just keep talking.  You need to let them know you are there.  Let them know there are numbers to call and people to talk to.  Whatever you do, do not say you know what they are going through, do not say this will pass with time, and ABSOLUTLY DO NOT SAY that they need to be happy.  Depression is not something that can be fixed in a matter of minutes.  It takes time and it takes support.  All I ask is that you be someone’s support system.  Without my support system and the help I have received, I do not know where I would be.  So thank you to my friends, family, and everyone is between.  You all helped me in more ways then I could ever mention


No comments:

Post a Comment